13 April 2010

δῆλον ὅτ’ ἐν τᾷ γᾷ κἠγών τις φαίνομαι ἦμεν!

Shoreside, apparently even I seem to be somebody. The same day my department regretted to inform me &c. (it's all right), I found out that the Institute for Humane Studies accepted me to one of its summer seminars--"The Tradition of Liberty," at Bryn Mawr this July. Sadly this won't be as useful on my CV as my first choice, the seminar on secondary education, but I'm honored and looking forward to it.

I've always preached about how classical liberalism needs to move closer to the humanities and vice versa, so it's a little daunting to find myself about to put my person where my mouth was. Bless G-d, though! I'm so tired of human unsuccess--grad school broke my preposterous arrogance, so it's hardly a question of having my Huge Genius recognized for a change; I'm just relieved to have an institution extend me the benefit of the doubt. Maybe I can claw some opportunity out of this unexpected and grateful windfall.

The Greek is Theocritus, Idylls 11.78.

No comments:

Post a Comment